Achieving Goals While Being Chronically Ill

Rena Newman avatar

by Rena Newman |

Share article via email
Banner for

Hello, friends.

Phowhoo, snap.

Apparently, I have a new habit of chewing gum obnoxiously and blowing bubbles like I’m in junior high school in the 1980s. I don’t know how I stand it because I can get amusingly agitated if I hear others chewing — or breathing — but not to the level of having misophonia.

It’s been a while and I’ve missed you all. I have an update and then I’ll share my most recent realizations about working on goals while being chronically ill.

Recommended Reading
siglec-5

Making the Most of Your Doctor’s Visit When You Have Sjogren’s Syndrome

I’m back in school and taking American Sign Language this semester. I seem to be picking it up quickly, although the phalanges of my handsies don’t always want to move to form the proper handshapes, and it’s driving this perfectionist a little batty. I blame my scleroderma/systemic sclerosis and not my Sjögren’s syndrome for this issue.

Another thing is that it’s getting harder to put my socks on. The other day, I was so stiff I fought for about 10 minutes! What’s bothering me most, though, is my esophagus. (Heads up, mondegreen ahead.) It burns, baby burns, I need Crisco internally since food is sticking around inside my tube. Whoops, my gum just fell out of my mouth. Time to transition.

Sjogren's Syndrome News |

“Fabulous Foresight.” (Courtesy of Derrian Childress)

Prioritizing and staying focused

Illness takes up a lot more time than I realized, with doctor appointments, physical therapy, rest, emotional processing, and more. I’m thinking that when I want to have a good cry, I’ll need to schedule it. I only hope these raisin glands are able to produce tears during the appointment. Yes, it’s been quite eye-opening how crucial it is to learn how to better manage my time.

I’ve also been reevaluating the importance of certain things, and I’ve asked myself questions such as: What do I need to remove from my life? (No available minutes for drama and distractions.) Can I cut this out or cut back? Is there something I’ll need to sacrifice temporarily or permanently in order to thrive?

Productive and in pain

As many of you know, living with Sjögren’s or any other autoimmune disease is difficult. We have good days and bad days, and even good and bad moments.

I’m finding out that by pushing through and concentrating on attaining my personal goals, it’s distracting me from the suffering, which helps me view myself differently. I’m seeing less of my illness, which is still there, but has less power and identity. At the same time, I’m seeing more of my successes and feeling more confident about my future.

Although I may not be where I want to be, and I’m unable to do as much as I want to, it still feels good to be doing something and working toward an objective.

To the person who is unsure about taking the first step toward a goal you’ve had: Why not take it?

To someone who is looking for encouragement to keep going: You’ve got this.

Everyone, let’s live in the present, and keep pressing on, dreaming, and doing what we can. Let’s not allow illness to get in the way.

Quote of the day: “You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy.” — Jane Marczewski, aka Nightbirde

Positive affirmation of the day: I am achieving my goals.

P.S. Tea and talk continues. And just for fun, how many differences can you spot in the mirror reflection in the illustration above? Please comment below.

***

Note: Sjögren’s Syndrome News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Sjögren’s Syndrome News or its parent company, BioNews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to Sjögren’s syndrome.

Comments

Jean Winter avatar

Jean Winter

I to have srojgrens for about 4years I now have developed multiple myeloma,with some symptoms being the same it's a puzzle sometimes lol

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Jean, thanks for commenting. Blessings to you

Susan Brock avatar

Susan Brock

Rena, I really love your humor and your sharing of your challenges. I could relate to almost everything you said today. I have Sjogren’s too and got lymphoma from it which is gone now. I had three surgeries in my throat due to radiation of a tumor in my nasopharynx during cancer and that has made swallowing a challenge. I absolutely love the quote you included from Nightbirde. Thank you for reminding me that we are not alone in our suffering and there are still so many things to experience in life that will bring us joy, like you learning American Sign Language. I admire you so much.

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Thank you, Susan. You are amazing <3

Ann Timberlake avatar

Ann Timberlake

I, too, have systemic sclerosis. Along with Raynaud’s and Sjogrens. SSc has damaged my lungs and digestive tract. I have gastroparesis, which means that my esophagus and stomach are paralyzed. A gastro doctor will probably want you to have an esophageal Manometry which will show whether your esophagus is functioning properly. I am sitting in an urgent care right now waiting to find out if I have an obstruction in my bowels. Yesterday I had my worst body starving for oxygen episode. The disease is certainly not fun. I can still drive and see so I take people who can’t drive to appointments and other things and I sew things for every baby at my church and anyone who needs anything involving sewing. Those things keep me from thinking about myself.

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Ann, thank you for sharing. I think it's awesome how you're driving others and sewing for those in need <3

Jeannine schryer avatar

Jeannine schryer

I saw at least 12 differences in those pictures

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Jeannine, thank you for commenting. More than 12, less than 20

Allison Pikiell avatar

Allison Pikiell

Love the positive perspective!! Press on my friends.....Seize The Day!! Be A Go-Giver!!!

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Allison, yes! Thanks for commenting.

Eva avatar

Eva

As for food sticking in the esophagus, my GI told me about Esophegial guardian, chewable tablets. I got it from eBay. One can chew it once a day after the big meal. It helps. I eat two meals a day, breakfast and lunch.

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Eva, thanks for sharing. I will look into it. I'm thinking I'll have to only eat breakfast and lunch as well.

Laurie Nichols avatar

Laurie Nichols

Welcome back, Rena! I missed your uplifting and humorous stories over the past month, but know you are dealing with new challenges.

I see lots of differences in the mirror image. The stars around your head, the red patches on your chest and arms, lots of little details are different. IOU book instead of I have power book, the animated socks and what is that hairy arm/sock coming out from under the bed?

We definitely need to see ourselves as capable and active beings in our future. We can’t give up and let the color drain out of our lives. It’s exhausting chasing around to many doctors who aren’t connected. I need a healthcare manager!

I agree wholeheartedly that we need goals in our lives. We have to accomplish things we set out to do and challenge ourselves to keep going, even when we don’t feel like doing our PT exercises. I tend to do too much and then suffer because I didn’t rest enough. Our goals can be very small, like get those socks on - eventually! Or do a load of laundry, even if we have to wait a while to finish it.

Distraction conquers some pain, or at least gets my mind thinking about something else for a while as I get my minds engaged in - a book, a sewing project, a movie, or whatever helps me get out of the pain and that “feel sorry for myself” mode.

Thanks for sharing your positive outlook, know it’s not easy. It makes me remember that I can send myself positive messages even when I’m not feeling physically well.

Rena Newman avatar

Rena Newman

Hey, Laurie. Cool, you caught a good amount of the differences and details. That's Kukla's tail coming out from under the bed. She follows me around everywhere. Thanks for sharing. I also need a healthcare manager, ha

Nancy Blonshine avatar

Nancy Blonshine

It is so comforting to read about other Sjogies and know that I am not on this path alone.
I am having a problem trying to make a decision as to what to do with a dental problem. It appears that there aren't too many options when one is losing teeth......dentures or implants. Please, if anyone can give me some insight I would be so grateful. I am scared of the implant as far as the healing process is concerned, but honestly don't know it is is possibly to wear dentures, when my mouth is so dry. There has to be something out there, as I don't really want to be toothless:)

Sandra Walker avatar

Sandra Walker

Has anyone had problems with choking while trying to swallow? It’s a the point that I don’t want to eat but my RA doctor has begged me to not lose any more weight. My meds has made me lose my appetite. Now my bladder isn’t working so well. Has anyone had trouble with their bladder?

Virginia Meagher avatar

Virginia Meagher

When I am in overwhelming pain, the best remedy is watching a movie and taking Aleve with water. Comfort food is sweet potato baked in microwave with butter/clarified butter (ghee)/avocado oil and apple cider vinegar and cinnamon.